So a little while back, a company called Fresh Fit Foods contacted me on Twitter and offered me a free sample meal. They’re a local Edmonton company that makes pre-packaged meals for people who want to eat healthy and lose weight. They offered me a free meal with no strings attached at all, which I really appreciated and decided to review.
Fresh Fit Foods sent me a coupon code on Twitter, which I used to order the meal on their website. I go to choose the meal I wanted and when and where I wanted to pick it up. I chose to order the Roast Pollock with Cauliflower Mash and Roasted Veggies. I picked it up during the afternoon last Wednesday and ate the meal for dinner that night.
Based on my experience with the company, from ordering through to picking up and eating the meal, I have a few thoughts.
Things that were awesome!:
- The food was really really good. It was health and incredibly tasty. I was not expecting to be that impressed.
- The Cauliflower Mash was amazing!! I would buy their meals again just for that.
- It was free! Who doesn’t love free stuff?
- The generosity of the person who does their Twitter account. I really appreciated the offer and the fact that it came with no strings. It was really kind.
- The food is actually quite healthy. The medium size dinner portion I ate had 380 calories, 32g of protein, and 6g of fibre; an excellent bang for your dietary buck.
- The meal came in a nice container that I can wash and re-use.
- It was really convenient. I liked that there were multiple pickup locations, so I didn’t have to go out of my way to get the food.
Areas for improvement:
- Signage at the location – I ordered pickup at their downtown location, which was simply listed at the address for an office tower. Nowhere did it specify that I could pickup the food inside the gym on the main floor. I found it eventually but it was not as easy as I would have liked. I would love to see them have a sign outside the doors to the gym and to specify the location a bit more on their website.
There were no reheating instructions on the package. I would like to see this added in the futureUpdate: The company contacted me after I published the review and told me that they are in the process of adding this to their packaging already.
- There are restrictions on what you can order on which days. I do understand that they are a small business, so it is likely necessary as they start out. However, I’m hoping that they can change this in the future.
- Their website doesn’t have a mobile site. Again, I understand that they’re a small business and you can’t have everything at once, but I’m hoping this will change in the future.
So, overall, would I buy their meals? If I wanted to just grab a quick meal on the go and was near a location, absolutely. The food was really good, really healthy, and the prices are pretty reasonable, especially when you consider the overall quality of the food and the convenience factor. I will definitely add their location to my roster of places to grab lunch if I don’t bring any to work. That being said, I am trying to focus on being more frugal and cooking at home, so I probably won’t make eating their meals a regular thing for me. Overall though, I was very impressed and would definitely recommend their food to others.